Scroll to content
Barwell Infant School home page

Barwell Infant School

Children First!

Free School Meal Information

School Dinners

Our excellent school cook prepares hot meals on site, and our school kitchen has been awarded 'Grade 5' for cleanliness (the highest possible grade).  The children eat in the upstairs dining hall, closely supervised and supported by our lunchtime team.


In September 2014 the government introduced 'Universal Free School Meals' for all children in EYFS, Year 1 and Year 2.  This means that any families requesting hot meals during the school day do not have to pay for them, regardless of the family's income.  If families would prefer to send their children with a packed lunch, they can, of course, continue to do so.




Any families who are eligible for Free School Meals (FSM) should still complete the FSM application form as, as well as receiving a daily hot meal, the school receives additional funding to support these children in school.


How do I know if I can claim Free School Meals (FSM)?


Currently, the qualifying benefits for FSM are:


  • Income Support (IS)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Based)
  • Child Tax Credit, provided the annual taxable income, as assessed by the Inland Revenue is not in excess of £16,190.  Families who also receive an award of Working Tax Credit do not qualify to claim for free school meals
  • The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Children who receive Income Support (IS) or Income Based Jobseekers Allowance in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals


Temporary qualification for FSM:


  • From 1st May 2009 where a parent has been entitled to Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after their employment ceases, or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week, they will be eligible to claim free school meals over that period.


How do I apply for FSM?


  • Email

  • Download and complete the FSM application form (using the link below)

  • Telephone 0116 3056588 or 0116 3057093